How To Smudge Your Home, Office, And Yourself (Step-By-Step)
There are a lot of mantras out there that can be used with smudging. One I like is, "Thank you Great Spirit for helping clear my space of negative energy, blocked energy, stuck energy, or negative feelings/thoughts. May this space be re-filled with feelings of joy, love, happiness, and harmony."
Set an intention before you sage your home, office, or yourself.
- The sage is going to do the cleansing, but set an intention for what you would like to get out of each session. Are you using sage to heal, to grow, to clear your mind, to invite in new experiences, or more abundance? Set the intention.
- Light the thick end of the smudging stick and blow out the fire once it produces smoke. The smoke is what does the clearing.
- Start in one corner of the room and move the smoke up and down with the smudging feather.
- Move to each of the other corners in the room.
- Once you've smudged the corners of the room, move to the centre (and rest of the room) and move the smoke over any furniture (the bed, couches, pillows, dressers, toys, antiques, etc) and electronics that you have. Be sure to also move the smoke around the windowsills and lastly, the door frame of the room that you're smudging in.
- Once you feel that you've done enough smudging in that room, it's then time to move on to the next room and repeat the steps above. Remember to start on the lowest level (basement or ground floor) of your home and work your way up to the top level.
- As you're smudging each room, remember to show gratitude to the Great Spirit for helping you clear your energy and your space. Remember to also repeat your mantra as you move to the different areas in your home. If you want to call in your spirit guides or your angels to assist with the clearing process, you can do that as well.
- Once you're done with each room, go ahead and smudge each entrance to your home (front, back, and side doors). You can do that by just moving the smoke around the door frames.
- That will complete the process.
After You're Done Smudging
Once your done with your smudging session, I recommend that you place the smudging bundle in a fireproof container, in a safe place and let it burn out on its own.
If the smell is too strong for you, you can always press the burnt end of the sage into the fireproof container to put it out. Make sure the fire's out completely before you store your smudging bundle. Give it a good 30 to 45 minutes before storing it away.
You can discard the sacred ashes by taking them outside and burying them or just spread them on the ground. Again make sure the ashes are out completely before taking this step.
I like to light some scented candles and sometimes play some gentle music at the end of each session. Some people burn essential oils or spray essentials oils to complete the process. Again, you can use this article as a guide, but use your intuition when it comes to your ritual. Use the methods that resonate with you, your time, and your space.