Do you have a piece of furniture that has, perhaps, seen better days and is in need of some careful restoration? Perhaps you would like to tackle the job yourself but feel you lack the knowledge and skills to do a really good job?
If so, these workshops will help you to proceed with confidence! You will learn about the specialist tools needed, how to assess the scope of your particular project, repair broken joints and all those essential finishing jobs: cleaning, staining, colouring, waxing and polishing.
These workshops are open to anyone from complete beginners to those with some experience wanting to further their knowledge and skills.
What will I learn?
The aim of the course is to provide you with the key skills and knowledge required to restore any piece of furniture.
On completion, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate that you have learned how to assess the range of work needed to restore a piece of furniture
- Assess the range of tools and materials needed to undertake the specific project
- Demonstrate that you have developed a range of skills needed in furniture restoration
- Restore small pieces of furniture to a good standard
The following topics will be covered during the course:
- Health and Safety- issues relating to the use of tools, materials and safety in the workshop
- Assessing the project - assess the range of work needed to restore a piece of furniture
- General restoration techniques - repairing and gluing broken joints etc
- Finishing methods - cleaning existing finish, staining and colouring patches and/or wax finishing.
Additional costs and information
Before the workshop is due to begin, a photo of your project and an idea of your desired style will need to be thought off and shared with the tutor (via e-mail or Facebook messenger), suggestions can be given if needed. At this point, your tutor will provide a list of materials required to start you off. Advice will be given by the tutor about additional materials required as your project progresses. For your first workshop you will need to bring with you, your project and the items on the list provided by your tutor on initial contact.
Workshops run once a week for approximately four to five weeks, at one hour per session.
$15 per session.